New regulation concerning occupations for foreign workers was issued. At the end of August, the Indonesian Government through Ministry of Manpower released Keputusan Menteri Ketenagakerjaan Nomor 228 Tahun 2019 (hereinafter referred to as Kepmen 288/2019). The main topic of that regulation is an additional list of occupation that allowed for foreign workers.
In the regulation, there are 18 categories of occupation that allowed for foreign workers. Those categories are as follows:
2. Real Estate;
4. Processing Industry;
5. Water Management, Waste Water Management, and Waste Recycling, and Remediation Activities;
6. Transportation and Warehousing;
7. Arts, Entertainment and Recreation;
8. Providing Accommodation and Providing Food and Drink;
9. Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries;
10. Rental and Leasing Activities Without Option of Rights, Manpower, Travel Agents, and Other Business Support;
11. Finance Activity and Insurance;
12. Human Health Activities and Social Activities;
13. Information and Communication;
14. Mining and Excavation;
15. Supplying Electricity, Gas, Steam/Hot Water, and Cold Air;
16. Wholesale and Retail Trade, Repair and Maintenance of Cars and Motorbikes;
17. Other Service Activities;
18. Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities.
Work in Indonesia
The new regulation in Kepmen 228/2019 revokes previous sector-specific regulations issued by different technical ministries on foreign workers. According to the Kepmen 228/2019, companies are now allowed to apply for approval from the Ministry of Manpower for a position not yet listed and the entire list will be evaluated at least every two-years, or sooner, if necessary. However, for all work permits issued before this regulation was released will remain valid until they expire.
If you are a foreigner who is planning to work in Indonesia, you may think about what position you can occupate. As a note, there is also a regulation concerning the list of occupation that forbidden for foreign workers. Indo-Ned Consultancy is one of the company consultants which can assist you in regard to your plan to work in Indonesia. With assistance from Indo-Ned Consultancy, you do not need to be confused anymore with the bureaucracy in applying for all the work permits. Simply choose the date and arrange a meeting with us! We are available at Jakarta and Bali office. Should you want to meet our colleagues, please kindly arrange the meeting by click this link.